lament /ləˈment/ Definition: a passionate expression of grief or sorrow.
When you see a picture of the sky… with the sun close to the horizon… do you think it is a sunrise or a sunset?
In the service!!
Often it is hard to determine if the sun is rising, or if the sun is setting. On Sunday, Pastor Brent opened the book of Lamentations for us and shared what Jeremiah was experiencing many years ago. Not only just a snapshot, but Jeremiah could see the setting darkness coming on his people, and the suffering all would have to endure. Amid this fading light, we find that Jeremiah lamented. Lament means a passionate expression of grief and sorrow. Jeremiah suffered with his people. He wept for their condition. Brent correlated the world that Jeremiah lived in to the one we live in today. Just as Jeremiah lived among a cloud of weeping, anger, and confusion, we travel as pilgrims through the same feeling of despair in our nation. Brent then applied this Old Testament book as a challenge to our church family. Two challenges I heard were…
#1- We do NOT need to know God’s plan for our nation, because we rest in God’s Ultimate Plan, His Glorification.
#2- We DO know that God has given us every opportunity to point people to the light in this darkening world… His Son, Jesus Christ.
II Corinthians 4:6 “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”
We ended the service singing out a great spiritual song, “Give thanks to the Lord, our God and King, His love endures forever! For He is good. He is above all things. His love endures forever!”
What’s on the Horizon at CenterPoint!!
- PUMPKIN PALOOZA! Don’t forget about this Saturday, October 22nd, from 10AM-Noon at the new church property! We have well over 200 pumpkins we need to give away! Pray for the weather, invite a friend, and come out with your church family!
- TEEN HARVEST PARTY! We are heading to Bob and Billie Messersmith’s house on Saturday, October 22nd, from 6:30-8:30PM. All teens are invited to bring a friend for food, fellowship, hayride at Kitchen’s Orchard, and time focusing on the Lord! The address is 180 Speedway Lane, Falling Waters, WV. 25419.
- PRAYER CHALLENGE– Pastor Roger will be meeting in the library at 8:45am every Sunday to lead our church family in prayer. All are welcome to to this vital ministry.
- FOCUS GROUP- Love and Respect revolving on how God’s view of marriage should be lived out. Led by Pastor Lowell.
- FOCUS GROUP- The Book of James is fleshed out by Pastor Brock.