Tax Day is one of those days that people wait until the last moment to do. It is an inevitable day, but we all know it is going to happen. Some may put it off what is happening, but it IS going to happen. In a similar vein, eschatology in Scripture is going to happen, but some put off learning about it. The guys introduce this study in this podcast and a right thinking on this topic. Listen and look below for some of their notes!
Eschatology- the doctrine of the completion of God’s plan
Matthew 24: 35-36, 44 “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only… Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”
Genesis 1:26 “Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
• This has not completely happened yet. But a descendant of Adam WILL complete this.
• We know this is Jesus!
Isaiah 11:6 “The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them.”
• We are waiting for Jesus to return and complete this.
• There WILL come a time when this arrives in completion!
Revelation 21:1 “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more…”
• We get caught up in trying to read the “current signs of the world”, and we forget to focus on what God’s Word has already said about His completion.
• Prophecy is not so much about predicting God’s plan as it is about confirming God’s plan. We lose sight of the forest for the trees.
Titus 2:1, 12 “But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine…training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ…”
• We need that encouraging, focused reminder of our Blessed Hope
• We need to realign ourselves in view of God’s Plan
It is ALL ABOUT how we rightly interpret Scripture.
Rightly interpreting God’s covenant to Abram in Genesis 15.
• Eschatalogy is about Interpreting the Bible… rather than deciphering current events.
Let the Bible say what it says. Let it mean what it means. We don’t get the right to change it’s meaning. We need to trust God’s plan will be completed and come to fruition.